Do you consider yourself an avid off-road enthusiast, who hangs out more in the wilderness than in the urban jungle? Then Four Wheel Magazine's Project Toyota 4Runner Backcountry might be the vehicle for you. This special 4Runner concept is part of Toyota's 2010 SEMA line-up and is said to have been built as a "self-contained exploration rig."
There's no eye-catching livery here, but a plain white finish. Chances are that only real off-road connoisseurs will know that something's up with this car. And they're right.
The stock suspension has been replaced by heavy-duty Old Manu Emu (OME) parts. New springs and shock absorbers are used, in conjunction with a 2.5 inch lift, making it more capable in rough terrain.
The builders didn't stop there, as Falken Wildpeak A/T tires (P285/70 R17), wrapped around Teflon-coated ATX Mojave wheels, give this bad boy another half an inch of ride height.
Complete with EVO Manufacturing rock sliders, the Backcountry is 3-inches taller than its mundane sibling.
But ground clearance is nothing without efficient power distribution. This is where the ARB front Air Locker shines and, if the going gets real tough, there's also a Warn XD9000 winch, mounted on an ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. You can also rely on two additional HID (High-Intensity Discharge) driving lights to navigate in low light conditions.
Pretty awesome stuff, that promise -at least on paper- to get you to your destination. Once there, your life will be made easier by the rooftop tent, roof rack mounted lights and a 13-gallon water tank, with a hose attached to it.
A complete array of communication and navigational instruments have been integrated into the cabin, most of them using the factory switch blanks, so there's no clutter or lost space.
So, open that ARB fridge and have a beer. An off-roader's life seldom gets any better than this.
By Csaba Daradics
Four Wheeler Toyota 4Runner Backcountry Features
• Manu Emu (OME) suspension system
• OME NitroCharger Sport shock absorbers
• P285/70R17 Falken WildPeak A/T tires
• 17x8 Teflon-coated ATX Mojave wheels
• ARB front Air Locker
• Warn XD9000 winch
• ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper
• Two 6x9 KC HiLiTES HID driving lights
• four KC HiLiTES 5x7 front facing and two 2x6 rear facing lights
• ARB Steel Touring Style Roof Rack
• ARB Series III Simpson Rooftop Tent and ARB Awning 2000
• EVO Manufacturing rear tire and Expedition One Geri fuel can carrier
• EVO Manufacturing rock sliders
• 13-gallon water tank with12V inline electric pump
• Cobra CB radio
• Garmin GPS
• Rear cargo-mounted Power Tank on-board air system
• ARB Fridge Freeze